Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I Know Liberal Is Profanity but....

I'm well aware that I am an unusual woman. Born in Texas, a baby boomer, raised in a Catholic ghetto, graduate of a Catholic grammar school, high school, university; graduate of undoubtedly the most liberal, socially conscious, graduate school of Christian theology in the world (Go Union Heretics!).

My politics and spiritual practices would get me beheaded in some cultures, burned in others; I am guilty on all counts. I was also the wife of a military man for 20 years during the Viet Nam War and its aftermath. Marching the picket lines for farm workers, sitting in at Columbia University to protest apartheid ... I even got arrested celebrating a Holy Thursday Communion service outside of the Shell building in NYC (also apartheid). My liberal credentials are impeccable.

I support the death penalty (for rapists, serial killers, and sexual predators of all kinds) and believe licensed concealed hand guns are the right of all non-felons. (So, okay, my liberal ticket sometimes gets unpunched.) The problem is: I live/work in an environment of bigotry, mysogony, and ignorance that leaves my brain bleeding sometimes. And I cannot say a word out loud. So, I scream in silence here, again preaching to the choir.

Philanthropist and Used Car salesman
Today I "learned" (while preparing my lunch) that Bill O'Reilly is a philanthropist of the first order, contributing millions to charity; brilliant beyond imagining;and justifiable in his hate filled diatribes. I also learned that people who get government benefits are just lazy and should be dropped from the "payroll" immediately.

I was preparing my lunch because I have no money until payday. Me in my barely minimum wage job, working 12 hour shifts, but no longer under the poverty line because "the government" has lowered the minimum.

The people who were espousing all of the above "knowledge" are coworkers, each of whom make at least twice what I do, have insurance elsewhere ...therefore no need for the company to provide it.
It looks like I am just ranting here, and I am. Screaming in the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment